Carl Wilhelm Anderberg
Carl Wilhelm Anderberg was born in Riseberga parish, Scania, Sweden on July 3, 1827, the son of Isak W. Anderberg and Johanna Risberg. He was accepted as a pharmaceutical trainee in Angelholm in 1845, and enrolled in the pharmacy program at the Royal Institute in Stockholm in 1849. In 1851 he took a position at the Klefva nickel smelter, where he soon developed an interest in mining and smelting. In 1854 he studied mineralogy at the Freiberg Mining Academy, but found that he could not pursue that science professionally because of his colorblindness. Instead he became a pharmacist and purchased the Ugglan (“Owl”) Pharmacy 1855, located on Queens Street in Stockholm. There he also started his mineral specimen business in 1863. He built a large mineral collection of several thousand specimens and eventually moved to the city of Lund.
Following Anderberg's death in Lund on May 6, 1871, his children had his mineral collection moved to Stockholm where it was stored in the attic of the Rörstrand Porcelain Company. His son worked at the Rörstrand Company, a daughter was married to the Rörstrand Company Director, and another daughter was married to the Rörstrand materials supervisor.
During the following 55 years in storage, many specimens were removed and sold. Finally, in 1923 the remaining part of his collection was purchased by the Royal Institute of Technology (School of Mines) in Stockholm, with the exception of approximately 200 duplicates which were retained by Director Knut Almström (and were later given by him in 1936 to Chalmers University in Gothenburg, though much of that collection has by now disappeared).
At the School of Mines the Anderberg collection, being very dusty and in total disorder, was cleaned and reorganized by Ragnar Looström, according to the system of Naumann-Zirkel. The last entry in Looström's register is no 3453, a “speisskobalt” with galena from Schneeberg. Unfortunately it is impossible to tell how large this collection was, because many specimens are missing (e.g. approximately 80 out of 100 entries for specimens from the famous Ytterby quarry), and to confuse matters further, Looström sometimes use the same number for several specimens.
The School of Mines, founded in Falun in 1819, moved from Stockholm to Lulea with the collections, including that of Anderberg, in 1972.
Personal communication (2006) from Aksel Österlöf, Lulea, Sweden, who has worked on the collection.
Obituary, Ny Illustrerad Tidning, June 10, 1871.
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2018)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 3 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 3
||59 x 72 mm|
||42 x 70 mm|