Alabama Agricultural & Mechanical College
The Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical College (now University) was founded in 1875 in Huntsville as the Huntsville Normal School. In 1891 the school moved to the Norma, Alabama campus, was designated a land-grant school for African Americans, and was renamed State Agricultural and Mechanical College for Negroes. The college was re-formed as a junior college in 1919 and became a four-year college in 1939. Its name was changed to Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical College in 1948, and it was granted university status in 1969.
Alabama A&M, as it is known, is a public, coeducational institution of higher learning, and a historically black school. The university today comprises the schools of Graduate Studies and Extended Education, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, and Engineering and Technology. It offers a range of bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree programs. University College provides services for new students. Research facilities include the Center of Excellence in Nonlinear Optics and Nonlinear Optical Materials, Howard J. Foster Center for Irradiation of Materials, and the Center for Forestry and Ecology. The university is the home of the Alabama State Black Archives, Research Center and Museum, which collects materials on African American history and culture. Total enrollment is currently more than 5,000 students. A geology program is no longer offered.
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2018)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 1 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 1
||53 x 67 mm|